Monday, April 22, 2013

Sunday At The Beach

This past Sunday, there were a lot of things I should have been doing.  Laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning the house, working on a new painting, are just a few of the things on my to-do list. Instead I played hooky and went to the Long Beach Grand Prix.


A friend of mine goes every year and convinced me to go this time.  I thought it was funny, that after living in Long Beach for so many years and never going to the race, now that I have moved away this is the first time I've actually gone to see it.  It was a really great day to be at the beach again.  The weather was perfect, not too hot, just breezy and sunny.


We got pit passes.  It was fun to see the pit crews working on the cars.  They are so amazingly fast.  You can see the Long Beach Aquarium in the background with the mural of whales painted on it by the artist Wyland.


This skyline is used in filming Hollywood movies and shows sometimes.  The first time I remember seeing film crews out here was for the first Lethal Weapon movie.  That circular building shows up in the opening scene.


Takuma Sato won.  He's the first Japanese driver in history to win an Indy Car series race.
(this photo is courtesy The L.B. Press Telegram - my camera was not fast enough to capture these race cars!)



Well, that was my day playing hooky!  Hope you all had a fun weekend too!







3 comments:

  1. Yay for taking a break to have a little fun in the sun!!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really lovely, Debra! We all deserve a little day off every now and then, forgetting about the stress and the worries, and just enjoying ourselves! I'm glad you did :)

    xx Ivana

    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! Amazing to get pit passes- that must have been incredible!

    ReplyDelete