Friday, July 14, 2017

Watercolor Sketch Portrait

The other night I wanted to do an exercise in loosening up.  Sometimes I have a tendency to tighten up my paintings when I know they are for a commission, or are going to be for sale.  I want them to be perfect, and there is always a time crunch, so I don't want to make a mistake and have to start over.  But in thinking this way, I can lose some life, spontaneity or some happy accidents in the artwork.  Plus, when you are working with really expensive watercolor paper, you don't want to ruin it.  Also, I usually need to work on smaller paper, so it will fit in my scanner.  Working small automatically makes me slow down and be more detailed.

So this night, I decided to just do a loose sketch on some inexpensive larger (14in x 17in) sketch paper.   Not for sale or a commission, just for fun.  Although I started this out simply as a pencil sketch, and this paper is not meant for watercolor, I ended up adding watercolor anyway.  It was a lot of fun, and accomplished my goal of loosening up!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment