Friday, January 17, 2014

Never On A Sunday Album

My brother has been on a mission for the last year to clean out his storage and get rid of everything.  He's been housing all of my parent's stuff. There are a couple of items that I want, so I keep asking for them every time I visit.  One of these things is the original soundtrack from the 1960 Greek film Never On A Sunday.  I finally found it on one of his book shelves the other day.

My mom use to play this album all the time and I would sit near the Hi Fi and listen to it while looking at this album cover.  I just loved this simple yet elegant drawing.  I think it had a big impact on my wanting to become an illustrator.  It also heavily influenced my style.


This movie is about Ilya, a freelance prostitute that lives life on her own terms, in the port of Piraeus in Greece.  Homer, an American tourist and a scholar, has come to Greece to experience what he has been studying all his life.  Homer sees Ilya's lifestyle as a symbol of the degradation of classical Greek culture.  He tries to steer her onto the path of morality.  But there is no holding down Ilya's free spirit!

The film is really funny and has beautiful music.  Ilya's wardrobe  is wonderful too!  Melina Mercouri, the actress who plays Ilya is beautiful and talented. She won Best Actress at the 1960 Cannes Film Festival for this role.


 Now all I need is a record player so I can listen to the album again!





All record players are from Urban Outfitters.









2 comments:

  1. What an amazing find and trip down memory lane :) it's so neat to see what inspired you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely how this album holds such sweet memories for you! And that film sounds fun too. I must add it to my watch list.

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete