Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Art Deco Style

I've always loved watching the movies from the 1930's.  They have great screwball comedies like, "My Man Godfrey", "Bringing Up Baby", and "It Happened One Night".  Not only are they funny, but they had such great style.


Art Deco

Art Deco emphasizes geometric forms like spheres, rectangles, chevrons, and sunbursts motifs.  These elements are arranged in symmetrical patterns using modern materials such as aluminum, stainless steel, and chrome.

During the 1930's Art Deco was used for public works projects: railway stations, ocean liners, movie palaces and amusement parks.  It was also widely used in consumer products such as radios, telephones, textiles and furniture etc.

Although it lost popularity during World War II (it was deemed too luxurious for the times) it experienced a resurgence in the 1960's.

The most recent appearance of this style can be seen in the remake of "The Great Gatsby".



4 comments:

  1. wooow! you have a great blog! I love it !!!!
    I like so mucho vintage decoration in house!
    great post! good job!
    I wanna to ask you how about follow each other? Let me know, please. I always follow back so don`t worry :)
    have a nice day sweety!
    xoxo from Spain
    www.thegrisgirl.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! I'm always drawn to the 50s more but I really have to see the Great Gatsby with Di Caprio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Art Deco has never worked in my own home but I LOVE looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, love these pieces!!

    http://fashionistastyle1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete